Saturday, June 11, 2011

On my way!

6:35 am: I'll be touching down in O'Hare airport in about 25 minutes. This morning came so fast... Waking up at 3:45 wasn't fun either. But then again, Dad woke me up just before the alarm and it's a nice gesture.
I checked 3 bags at check-in... Two bug suitcases and a duffle bag. I hope I dont buy too much in China... How will I get it back???  Mom and Dad waited until I was through security to go back to the apartment.  And just for the record, that leather couch is comfy to sit on but definitely not ok to sleep on.  I didn't have any issues with security... Sometimes they swab my horn to check and see if I'm trying to smuggle drugs... Which is hilarious to me. So, less than a 5 minute wait at security and I went to Gate 5 at CVG. My flight departed at 6 am on the dot... No hassles about bringing my horn on this tiny puddle-jumper.  Lots of turbulence the first half hour of take-off... Reminded me of Cedar Point when Paul, Melissa and I went on the roller coasters on Monday.  But that's another story.
The flight attendant today is being trained... I told him he was doing great.... Kinda sucks to have such a bumpy flight the first time you're trying to serve people's coffee.  
So now the plane is descending... I wish the flight to Beijing only took an hour, but then this whole trip wouldn't be as special.   Another big thanks to Mr. Gibson for buying my ticket.  I don't know why the orchestra couldn't buy it... Here's hoping they reimburse Mr. Gibson very soon... I told him I'll buy him dinner when he visits Beijing in July. Also glad to have received communication from Wang XinYi this morning regarding my new apartment address.. Helps to take the edge off my nerves. Don't get me wrong... I'm so happy and excited for this opportunity, but I thought I was going to puke all morning... And most of last night.   Blarg!   Well, here's signing off for now... I'll write more on my connecting flight to Seattle, WA.

1:16pm Seattle time... Whatever that is (western- eastern semi-standard small central mountain time?!?!) well, here i am. Back at the terminal awaiting my next flight from Sea-Tec to Beijing. I just bought one of those nifty neck-sleeping-comfy pillows so that my head and neck will only be stuck at a 45 degree angle instead of a 90-degree angle for the rest of eternity.
My 4.5 hour flight from Chivago to Seattle was mildly uneventful, except for the guy who couldn't keep his elbows to himself. Let's be honest here: I know limbs. I am a lengthy-limby individual and somehow I manage to keep then to myself. Well, on airplanes anyway. On the upside the stewardess gave me an exit row seat!!! That's like winning the lottery... For your legs!!!  Oh, and I should also mention that 1.) "Rango" is a hilarious movie but it is not for children. 2.) 4.5 hour flights should come with mandatory FREE food and 3.) if you ever meet a horn player and ask her where she is going and why please, please, PLEASE do not angrily and stuffily tell her about how your daughter hates her traveling life as a concert violinist. If she doesn't like it she can stop anytime. Also, I am not your daughter.
Next: lunch was udon noodles at the airport. Ok, not exactly Chinese cuisine here, but getting warmer. And it was pretty darned good. Especially since noon was the first time I stopped feeling all pukey ( I don't mean to be gross, but you tell me if you don't get nervous about traveling for a year at a time.  
Seattle is cloudy. Typical.
I just got called to the gate desk... We had a little "show-me-your-passport" party.  It was good... They gave me a new ticket in Chinese. Also, the desk lady said the area I'll be living at in Beijing is really a good part of town with lots of shopping.  *must not spend money... Must save money for future... Saving... Getting... More....... Difficult....*

Well, that's it for now. The flight should start boarding in about 30 minutes and departure is at 2:40. Small delay, but who counts minutes when the flight is 12.5 hours long? Not I!!!!
Oh! Oh! I also bought the next Connie Willis book "All Clear" which is the follow-up novel to "Blackout" which was originally supposed to be one giant book but the publishers said no and oh god the desk lady is speaking in Chinese... Things are about to get really interesting...

No comments:

Post a Comment